The release of 45-year-old Byakabanda parish chief in Rakai Town Council in Uganda from police detention has angered members of his community, who accused him of locking his son up for seven years.
The man, whose identity wasn’t released to protect the minor was accused of keeping his son in a small room for the past seven years because he had mental health issues, reports Daily Monitor.
Residents of the town council were shocked and condemned the police for releasing the suspect who is said to have locked up the boy at the age of six. The boy is now 13 years old.
“Child neglect or torture is a serious offence and we couldn’t expect any right-thinking member of society and a parent to do it,” Mr Issa Mutaawe, a resident in Rakai Town said during an interview on Wednesday. He said they are yet to hold a village meeting and discuss the matter.
The boy was rescued last week by a Catholic priest, Fr Rafael Tebukozza, who was informed that a child had been locked in a “cage” and barked like a dog in the nearby town.
The priest first thought it was a rumour, but was shocked when he arrived at the suspect’s residence in Rakai Central Village and heard the child making strange sounds.
Accompanied by police officers led by Ms Patience Baganzi, the Rakai District Police Commander, the priest called the boy’s father out of his house and requested him to open the room that was stinking. Only a few brave people managed to get close to the room due to an unbearable smell that was emanating from inside.
The sight of the child shocked everyone. His hair looked like a sheep’s skin whereas his nails were very long and looked like claws. Despite his age, the boy could hardly speak. Worse still, he was so malnourished that onlookers thought he was only four years old.
“I could not believe what I saw. It is quite obvious that his parents had intentionally left him to rot in a room, but the living God saved him and we are going to take care of him as a church,” Fr Tebukooza said when he saw the child.
It was at this point that Tebukooza, along with the police took the suspect to the police station.
According to Baganzi, the suspect was asked to go and explain to the mother of the child, Josephine Naluggwa what he had done and apologise to the community. She says the boy’s father gave Naluggwa some money (about Shs200,000) and a few other items but he did not admit his wrong-doing or apologise to the community. She says they intend to re-arrest him.
Ms Naluggwa, a teacher and mother of the boy had parted ways with the suspect and says she knew nothing about her son’s condition. In her statement at police, Ms Naluggwa said her former husband reassured her that their son had been taken to Europe for treatment and she had no reason to worry.
“The suspect took the boy away from me at the age of six and said he had got Good Samaritans from Canada who were ready to treat him for free. I continuously asked for updates about the boy’s situation, but was told to be patient because the child was to return very soon,” she said.
Some of the suspect’s neighbours who preferred anonymity, to speak freely about the child’s condition, said this case had earlier on been reported to Police, but to their surprise, no action was taken.
The boy’s father denied all the allegations levelled against him, and insisted that the boy was not being mistreated, but instead given maximum care in the small room and was yet to be removed and taken to school.
Police are still hunting for the boy’s stepmother who was staying with the suspect. She reportedly fled the house after police stormed their home last week.
The church has decided to take on the care of the child, a move, the boy’s father doesn’t seem to have a problem with.
Source: Punch News
All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from 104.5 Love FM Abuja